Associate Medical Officer in Tidewater, VA
The Associate Director Physician is responsible for providing Delegated Utilization Management activities within the COE. In addition, the position will work collaboratively with the Market Medical Directors of the designated territories (Richmond and Tidewater) on additional responsibilities (PRN) “as necessary” within Hospitalist. The position will report directly to the Director of Hospitalists and Delegated Utilization Management COE, with a matrix reporting line to the Medical Director of PMR. The position will also drive Process and Quality improvement in the developing area of Delegated Utilization Management for PMR population.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide Delegated UM by covering the specified territories as assigned: o Establish 2-3 cases a day, ensure attendance on all Humana and local calls; call in for the weekly Primary Care Provider (PCP) and Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) meetings covering the assigned territories.
- Other markets may be assigned as credentialing increases and PMR contracts for Delegated UM come on line.
- Become the PMR Delegated UM physician reviewer.
- Administer new Hospitalist projects such as the administrative MD input, specifically researching products for a more efficient and effective Dashboard system.
- Manage the administrative duties, such as billing and scheduling, as well as facilitate the interview process for the new Admin Manager/Director.
- Facilitate the Transitional/ Liaison functions in the established market by aiding in the hand over to the new physician within the designated hospitalist territory.
- Other duties as assigned and modified by Director of COE.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent analytical and deductive reasoning skills.
- Good judgement and problem solving skills.
- Professional and effective communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
EDUCATION / SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate from accredited Medical School is required.
- Completion of IM or FP residency.
- Board Certification in residency area.
- Two (2) years’ experience in Hospital medicine.
- At least one (1) year of Delegated UM experience.
Located in the eastern section of the Virginia, the Tidewater region includes the towns of Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach and Newport News. With a 2010 city population of 180,719, Newport News is the fifth largest city in the state, its abundant history matched by an ideal location on the Hampton Roads harbor banks. Newport News is in close proximity to Williamsburg and the Atlantic Ocean and Virginia Beach can be easily accessed by automobile. Lovers of the great outdoors will find countless activities at the James River, the Chesapeake Bay and in any one of the 32 parks in the region.
The bustling port city of Norfolk is home to 242,803 residents, Norfolk State University, Eastern Virginia Medical School and the largest naval base in the world. Residential and business developments are key to the revitalization projects that have brought thousands of people to live and work in an exciting downtown accessible by light rail. A newly restored public space serves as a location for summer festivals and other public activities in the vicinity of the Virginia Zoological Park, Northfolk Botanical Garden and Chrysler Museum. Activities in Norfolk include The Virginia Symphony and the Admirals hockey team.
Portsmouth had a population in 2010 of 95,535 and is home to a major US Navy shipbuilding, remodeling and repairing facility. The town is graced with miles of waterfront property along the Elizabeth River and commuters between Portsmouth and downtown Norfolk have access to a ferryboat.