Stroke Medical Director - First Thrombectomy Capable Stroke Center in Virginia
We are seeking a board certified/board eligible Vascular Neurologist to join our program in Lynchburg, VA.
- Clinical % - 85%
- Administrative % - 10%
- Supervision of APPs % - 5%
Stroke Team Composition:
- Physicians # - 3 general neurologists who cover stroke call
- APPs # - 1 general neurology APP supports stroke, 1 interventional neurology APP supports neurointervention
- Nursing # - 24 hour code stroke nursing coverage
- Administrative # – VP Neurosciences & Critical Care, Neurosciences Medical Director, Neurointerventional Medical Director, Director of Neurosciences, Manager of Neuroscience Quality, Stroke Coordinator
Locations to cover/Privileges:
Lynchburg General Hospital, Bedford Memorial Hospital, Southside Community Hospital, Gretna, Virginia Baptist Hospital (covering other facilities through tele-medicine, not necessarily having to go physically to those sites.)
Types of Cases:
- Inpatient code strokes
- Stroke follow-ups
- Stroke follow-up clinics
- General and vascular neurology clinics.
Previous year’s stats: >800 Bill Strokes, 1,000 code strokes, 130 stroke interventions (tPA or thrombectomy)
Average Case Load Volume/Workload Description: Direct activities of the stroke and vascular program including inpatient call coverage, transitions of care and outpatient clinics in addition to sharing in coverage of general neurology call and general neurology clinics. Develop protocols and orders sets, communicate with all members of the care team from EMS to ED to Neurointervention and Intensivist to coordinate and improve the quality of care provided for stroke and vascular patients throughout Centra Health. Maintain stroke, TIA, vascular patient panel in outpatient clinics and assume small panel of general neurology patients.
Daily & Weekend Schedule: Monday through Friday, regular schedule, one weekend/month associated with call duties.
Call: 7 days/month inpatient general neurology call, 8 primary stroke call shifts/month, can be concurrent with general neurology
Physician benefits include:
- Onboarding bonus
- Relocation assistance
- Educational loan repayment program
- Full health, dental, and vision benefits
- CME reimbursement
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) eligible
Lynchburg is located just east of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Here you will find a lively downtown area, an excellent selection of restaurants, an abundance of outdoor activities, and rich history. Lynchburg offers an affordable cost of living and a variety of public and private school options.
In central Virginia you will also find easy access to major metropolitan areas such as Washington, DC (3 hours), Richmond, VA (2 hours), Raleigh-Durham, NC (2.5 hours) and Virginia beaches (3.5 hours).
Among the many accolades the Lynchburg region has earned:
- Best Places for Business and Careers – Forbes
- Top Places to Live – CNN Money
- Top Places to Retire – Forbes
- Top Adventure Towns – National Geographic
- America’s Best High Schools –Newsweek
- Top Best-Value Cities – Kiplinger.com
Looking for a peaceful, stress-reduced environment? Then, search no further than Lynchburg—a place to live, a way to live.
Centra is a not-for-profit regional health care system based in Lynchburg servicing central Virginia with three hospitals and more than 5,200 health care professionals. As the largest health system in the region, Centra provides a full spectrum of medical services, including cardiovascular, cancer, surgical, emergency, neurology, orthopaedics, family practice, women and children's, rehabilitation and senior services.
Centra has received many awards and accolades to include Forbes’ Safest Hospitals and 50Top Cardiac Hospitals in America; Certificate of Distinction for Primary Stroke Centers, 100 Most Wired Hospitals and Magnet designation for excellence in Nursing!
Lynchburg, Virginia offers an ideal balance between the practice of medicine and quality of life!
Central Virginia is nestled at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains offering a perfect balance of the four seasons and abundant outdoor recreation. All in a days drive to
- Washington, DC
- Charlotte, NC
- Virginia and Carolina beaches
Lynchburg has an airport and four private colleges bringing the Burg an eclectic culture. Excellent public and private schools, earning national recognition.