Medical Director, Center in Chicago, IL
The Medical Director, Center is specifically responsible for executing the ChenMed Way and core model in his/her assigned center.
Under the direction of the Market Chief Medical Officer (MCMO), the Medical Director, Center will directly supervise, performance manage and train primary care physicians (PCPs) in his/her assigned center. The incumbent in this role is accountable for maximizing overall clinical value while engaging physicians to improve clinical quality, efficiency, outcomes and physician/patient satisfaction. In addition to being accountable for the overall clinical outcomes of his/her assigned center, he/she will also assist the MCMO in managing day-to-day clinical and business operations and building positive relationships with providers and key stakeholders for all ChenMed/JenCare/Dedicated Senior Medical Centers within the market.
The Medical Director, Center will have approximately 70-90% of time allocated to direct patient care as a PCP and/or other clinical duties, and approximately 10-30% of time allocated to leadership responsibilities, depending on market needs, size of center, patient membership and MCMO direction. The Medical Director, Center may have up to 12 direct reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Delivers outstanding clinical outcomes and service to patient panel as a PCP.
- Directs accountability for clinical outcomes and day-to-day management of PCPs in one (1) center in the market, with regular presence in the center under direct management, and under the supervision of the MCMO.
- Manages, mentors and coaches’ PCPs in his/her assigned center to deliver outstanding clinical outcomes.
- Oversees and facilitates talent development of the PCPs in his/her center including, but not limited to: leading facilitated practice (physician shadowing/coaching), conducting 1:1s with direct reports, executing leadership development plans and performance management.
- Cultivates a center-level physician culture that is fully aligned with and delivering on the ChenMed core model, core values & behaviors and service standards.
- Assists MCMO in training of new practitioners.
- Assists MCMO with recruiting and interviewing PCP and specialist candidates (Note: MCMO makes hiring decisions).
- Reviews/approves center-level referrals and provides back-up for market referral and delegated utilization authorizations.
- Leads physician meetings, training and education of PCPs within assigned center.
- Partners with center manager to co-lead center stand-ups and deliver exceptional patient care across their respective teams.
- Participates in center and team meetings and leads focused clinical discussions in market huddles, super-huddles, physician meetings and may participate in external meetings.
- Accountable for appropriate management of hospital sick days for assigned center as follows: reviews inpatient census daily, delivers feedback to PCPs and ensures PCPs are keeping in contact with hospitalized patients and hospitalists; facilitates review of inpatients and other high priority patients during super huddle, accountable for discharged patients being seen and coach’s PCP on appropriate flagging of high priority patients.
- Manages clinical teams to deliver VIP service, standards of care and quality guidelines, HEDIS/STARS, high-risk disease detection and high-risk disease management and other evidence-based medicine.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE CRITERIA:
- Medical Doctor (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) degree required.
- A minimum of 3 years’ clinical experience required; 5 years preferred.
- Board Certified or, certification achievement within 24 months of hire into this position, in a specialty area is required. Preferred specialty areas include: Internal Medicine (IM), Family Practice (FP) or Geriatrics, but hires may have other sub-specialty training and board certification.
- Current, active license to practice medicine in State of employment.
- High performing physician with a proven track record of clinical leadership experience.
- Experience with population risk management or complex chronic disease care management.
- Experience working with interdisciplinary teams in quality improvement and/or medical/healthcare leadership activities preferred.
- Preferred to be an existing high performing PCP partner within the ChenMed core model, with a proven ability to manage a panel of >350 patients with outstanding clinical, customer service and cost outcomes. Preferred to have been with the organization >2 years, be a recognized leader amongst peers, and can lead teams in quality and performance improvement initiatives
- If specialty, has demonstrated leadership within his/her specialty and delivered superior outcomes, with a proven ability to deliver primary care in our model.
About Chicago, Illinois:
Located on the Southwestern shore of Lake Michigan, Chicago, Illinois, is the third most populous city in the United States. Metropolitan Chicago has a population of 9.8 million people and is home to more than thirty Fortune 500 companies. This "Second City" boasts a vibrant arts and cultural scene, from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and the Art Institute of Chicago to such acclaimed theater companies as Steppenwolf. Sports enthusiasts can cheer the Chicago Cubs on the North Side, the Chicago White Sox on the South Side, and the Chicago Bears just off the lake shore. With such superior colleges as Northwestern University, The University of Chicago, DePaul University, and Loyola University, Chicago is at the forefront of quality education.
Chicago is home to United Airlines and has two major airports serving the residents and visitors, O'Hare International on the Northwest side and Midway International on the Southwest side of the city. Chicago also has one of the best mass transit systems in the country. For relaxation, Chicagoans can luxuriate in any of the city's 552 parks and behold the wonders of the Cook County Forest Preserves and Chicago Botanic Garden. In short, "The Windy City" is an ideal balance between big city excitement and mid-western friendliness.