Join Two Radiation Oncologists at new Cancer Center in Sioux Falls, SD
Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD is seeking a radiation oncologist to join two board certified radiation oncologists employed by the hospital and practice at the Avera Cancer Institute in the Prairie Center. The Prairie Center is a state of the art facility that opened in November 2010 with 260,000 square feet dedicated to clinical space and supportive services including medical oncology, gynecologic oncology and a surgical center.
Meet with us at the 2018 ASTRO Conference
Avera Cancer Institute:
- Outstanding Comprehensive Community Cancer Program
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- Achievement Award in 2010 for exceeding the accreditation standards
- State of the art facility with 260,000 square feet opened in November 2010
- Radiation oncology, medical oncology, bone marrow transplantation, gynecologic oncology
- Surgical center with intra-operative radiation therapy for breast cancer
- National Cancer Institute clinical trials supported by Avera Research Institute
- Two external beam suites with Elekta Versa HD linear accelerators
- Perform IGRT (2-D digital portal imaging and 3-D KV cone beam), IMRT, SBRT, VMAT procedures, Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion
- Only dedicated brachytherapy suite in the region
- Elekta Flexitron afterloader with a Simulix Evolution
- Oncentra treatment planning system capable of IPSA optimization and volume analysis
- Strong HDR and permanent seed brachytherapy practice
- Utilize single vaginal cylinders, CT/MRI compatible T&O applicators, interstitial brachytherapy, breast, skin, and prostate brachytherapy.
- Wide-view GE Lightspeed RT 16 Ct Simulation Scanner
- Varis prostate seed planner and a robust prostate seed implant program
- ADAC Pinnacle Smart-Enterprise Treatment Planning Software
- Monaco Treatment Planning Software
- Elekta’s MOSAIQ EMR Software – all Avera regional sites operate out of the same MOSAIQ database for increased patient continuity and improved work flow.
- Mobetron electron-beam mobile linear accelerator for intra-operative radiation therapy
- Participating in Breast IOeRT HIOB trial based out of Salzburg, Austria
- We have our own IRB approved Single Fraction Research Protocol, enrolling patients now
- Avera McKennan Hospital and University Health Center in Sioux Falls, SD
- Avera is a health system of 300 facilities in ND, SD, MN, IA and NE
- Avera McKennan is a busy, growing 545-bed regional referral hospital
- Serves a large referral base with population of 1 million
The Avera Cancer Institute has two external beam radiation therapy suites, each housing an Elekta Versa HD linear accelerator. The Versa HD,with the Agility Head, features perfectly matched beam models allowing significant flexibility. The Elekta Versa HD allow us to perform IGRT (2-D digital portal imaging and 3-D KV cone beam), IMRT, VMAT and SBRT procedures, Leksell Gamma Knife Perfexion
- We have the only dedicated brachytherapy suite in the region which features a Nucletron HDR Microselectron V3 afterloader, along with a Simulix Evolution, which provides detailed, high resolution images for brachytherapy procedures. The Oncentra treatment planning system is utilized for each case and is capable of IPSA optimization and volume analysis. It is on a single server for all regional sites. We have a strong and established HDR and permanent seed brachytherapy practice in which we utilize single and multichannel vaginal cylinders, CT/MRI compatible T&O applicators, interstitial brachytherapy, as well as breast, skin, and prostate brachytherapy.
- We provide intra-operative radiation therapy using the Mobetron electron-beam mobile linear accelerator. We participate in the Breast IOeRT HIOB trial based out of Salzburg, Austria. We have our own IRB approved Single Fraction Research Protocol that has been active since early 2015. We are actively enrolling patient into this trial. To date we have currently enrolled 17 people on this trial and 13 have received treatment. We have performed some gynecological, rectal and sarcoma cases.
- The Avera Cancer Institute also features a wide-view GE Lightspeed RT 16 Ct Simulation Scannera, Varis prostate seed planner and a prostate seed implant program, the ADAC Pinnacle Smart-Enterprise Treatment Planning Software (TPS), Monaco (TPS), and Elekta’s MOSAIQ EMR software. Both Avera Radiation Oncology sites operate out of the same MOSAIQ database for increased patient continuity and improved workflow.
- The Avera Cancer Institute is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program. It earned the Outstanding Achievement Award in 2010 for exceeding the accreditation standards. The Avera Cancer Institute partners with the Avera Research Institute in which National Cancer Institute clinical trials are supported by dedicated research nurses and staff. The Radiation Oncology Department has been accredited by the American College of Radiology since 2012.
- Known as holistic or complementary medicine, integrative medical therapies help patients deal with side effects and enhances the individual's sense of well-being. Patients and practitioners alike consider these therapies to be an important component of medical care. Seventy percent of today's patients use some form of integrative medicine. The Avera Cancer Institute is committed to caring for the whole person -- mind, body and spirit and helping individuals develop a deeper sense of well being.
AVERA MCKENNAN HOSPITAL AND UNIVERSITY CENTER
Avera McKennan is a member of Avera Health, a regional family of more than 330 healthcare facilities in the five-state region. With over 16,000 employees, Avera Health has over two million clinic and inpatient visits each year at facilities known for medical excellence, technological innovation, and a commitment to meeting the spiritual, emotional, and physical needs of all patients.
Avera McKennan is a 545-bed, non-profit, Catholic facility and the regional referral center for the Avera Health System and surrounding five-state area. Our Careflight helicopter, ground and fixed wing aircraft transport patients from a service area with a population of 800,000 to our Level II Trauma Center. With over 600 physicians on staff in all specialties and 4,000 employees, the hospital offers a full range of services including the region's only kidney and pancreatic transplant program, and bone marrow transplant program. Avera McKennan is a designated Magnet Hospital and a Healthgrades Distinguished Clinical Hospital.
AVERA MEDICAL GROUP
- Integrated physicians’ network of Avera Health; 300 locations in 100 communities in the 5-state region of South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska
- More than 850 professionals providing focused patient care
- Total EMR for longitudinal care
- Avera eCARE leverages interactive video and computer technology to extend specialty services through eICU, eEmergency, eConsult, ePharmacy, ePrescribing, eLTC and eStroke
- Sioux Falls, SD has been recognized as one of the most business-friendly communities in the nation, as well as a great place to raise a family.
- Sioux Falls, South Dakota, is South Dakota’s largest city and the county seat of Minnehaha County. It serves as a healthcare, governmental, law enforcement and financial hub for the area. With a population of 250,000, the city has been judged by Money Magazine as the “best place to live in America” for its quality of life, including its low crime rate, high-quality education, clean air and water, lack of traffic congestion, and friendly residents.
- The city is a great place to raise a family. The public school system offers an array of educational opportunities, with 22 elementary schools, including Spanish Immersion Global Studies, five middle schools, and four senior high schools. There are also 13 private schools affiliated with various religious and private organizations. The post-secondary opportunities include five colleges, nearby state universities (including the University of South Dakota Medical School), and a number of business and vocational schools.
- Recreational activities abound in Sioux Falls, thanks to the city’s system of 80 parks, many of which are based on the Big Sioux River Greenway that provides 25 miles of paved bike trails that circle the city. Amenities in the parks include picnic areas, playgrounds, flower gardens, a Japanese Garden, fishing areas, sports fields, tennis courts, and swimming pools. Soccer and hockey are especially popular and are played on 29 soccer fields, nine skating rinks, and two hockey rinks. Also a regional sporting hub, Sioux Falls is host to a professional CBA basketball team, a Northern League baseball team, an Indoor Football League team, a US Hockey League team, and the Sioux Falls Polo Club.
- The arts are prominent in Sioux Falls as well. An exciting addition to the arts scene is the $32 million Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science, a community cultural and educational center providing entertainment options to residents and visitors alike. The Pavilion features a performing arts center, a domed Omni theater, a hands-on science museum, and an expanded display area for the Civic Fine Arts Center. The Sioux Falls Symphony Orchestra and the Community Concert Association perform in the Pavilion several times a year; other performing arts groups include the Friends of Traditional Music and the Sioux Falls Community Playhouse.
- Shopping in Sioux Falls ranges from the convenience of the Empire Mall with 180 stores to the warmth of quaint shopping centers. There are over 230 restaurants, ranging from fast food to exquisite fine dining rooms with elegant service.