New Mexico VA Health Care System
- 1501 San Pedro SE
Department of Veterans Affairs offers Veterans the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the United States. We operate more than 1,400 sites of care, including 153 medical centers, 909 ambulatory and community-based outpatient clinics, 135 nursing homes, 232 Veterans centers, 47 readjustment counseling centers, and 108 comprehensive home-care programs, across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S.Territories.
More than 7.9 million Veterans, their family members, and survivors are enrolled in the VA Health System, with more than 6.3 million seeking treatment each year. Currently, that annual treatment involves 773,600 inpatient visits and 60 million outpatient visits. About 250,000 full-time employees and 90,000 health professional trainees work in interdisciplinary care teams to deliver those patient services daily.
VA's patient population crosses a wide spectrum of individuals, from elderly World War II Veterans, to baby boomer Vietnam Vets, to today's younger heroes who served during the Gulf War era and in the present day Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. VA also serves a growing number of women Veterans, who currently account for seven percent of the total Veteran population.VA Benefits
Paid Time Off:
- 26 Days paid annual (vacation/personal) leave
- 13 Days paid sick leave each year with no limit on accumulation
- 10 paid Federal holidays per year
- 5 Days paid absence to attend approved CME courses
- Health Insurance: VA employees have an outstanding number of health insurance plans from which to choose (premiums are partially paid by VA) Lifetime Healthcare Insurance options available
- Dental & Vision: Our insurance options also include exceptional vision and dental plans (premiums are partially paid by VA)
- VA employees have the option to use Flexible Spending Accounts, which allow you to use tax-free dollars to pay for medical, dental, and vision care expenses that are not reimbursed by your health insurance plan
- Term life insurance, family, and additional coverage options are available with the cost shared by the Federal Government
- Long-term care insurance is available as an option
Federal Retirement Plan:
- VA employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan composed of 1) Social Security benefits, 2) FERS-RAE basic benefits (pension), and 3) Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is a 401K-type plan
- How is the pension funded? VA employees automatically contribute 4.4% of their salary each pay period and the VA contributes 8.3% of the employee’s salary each pay period for a total annual contribution percentage equal to 12.7% of the employee’s salary
- Similar to the 401(k) savings plans widely available in the private sector, the TSP allows employees to tax defer a portion of their income each year, subject to the requirements of the Internal Revenue Service. For calendar year 2020, employees under the age of 50 may contribute up to $19,500, while those over age 50 are eligible to make catch-up contributions that allow them to defer up to $25,500.
- The Federal Government also provides an automatic basic contribution (1% of salary) and up to 4% of salary in matching contributions, depending on the amount of the employee contribution
- For retired military personnel, these benefits are in addition to full monthly retirement pay or pension
- In addition to FERS, VA provides health care insurance coverage for retired personnel
- Disability Retirement
- Employees are vested in a federal pension after only 5 years’ service
The New Mexico VA Health Care System is a tertiary referral center consisting of 184 acute hospital beds, 90 residential rehabilitation treatment program beds and a 36 bed Nursing Home Care Unit. Albuquerque is home to the sole VA hospital in the state but the NMVAHCS operates six (6) VA-staffed Community-Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) and five (5) contract CBOCs throughout the State and southern Colorado. Annually, over 44,000 veterans are served and 33,000 hospital days and 500,000 outpatient visits are provided. In addition to its affiliation with the University of New Mexico, NMVAHCS enjoys affiliations with Central New Mexico Community College, Santa Fe Community College and New Mexico State University.
Albuquerque is a major metropolitan area with a population exceeding 600,000. It has mild winters and pleasant summers. Outdoor activities include hiking, skiing, mountain climbing, fishing, hunting, biking, year-round golf and tennis. NMVAHCS is located on a 100 acre campus; is a 217 bed medical, surgical, psychiatric and research and academic facility with Spinal Cord Injury Center and Geriatric and Extended Care Unit; integrated outpatient and inpatient services provided; full range of primary care, tertiary care; referral services; primary referral site for VISN 18, with significant clinical programs in cardiology surgery, gastroenterology, inpatient psychiatry, lithotripsy and others; affiliated with UNM; VA/DOD joint venture with KAFB ambulatory care facility; Community Based Outpatient Clinics.